26.12.08

Gnocchi Bean Soup

I first had the recipe when Bonnie made it. I fell in love with the richness of this soup; particularly its creamy texture even though it has no cream. I've been modifying it ever since and have found it to be one of the most flexible soups I know. Feel free to add any vegetables you'd like to it, or make it just gnocchi and beans. I often omit the onion, as well.


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, smooshed with the side of the knife
4 carrots, scrubbed (I never peel), and sliced on a diagonal into 1/4 inch pieces
4 celery stalks, sliced on a diagonal into half inch slices.
1 package potato gnocchi (I prefer the dried to frozen, but it doesn't matter)
2 yellow peppers, sliced
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
water
vegetable bouillon (I'm very partial to Rapunzel Sea Salt and Herbs)

Directions:
Heat olive oil in heavy weight large pot on medium high. Add garlic and stir until it begins to golden, 1-2 minutes. Add onions and saute until they begin to go clear.
Add carrots and celery. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add yellow peppers and gnocchi and stir for about a minute.
Add beans.
Cover with water/broth until desired soup consistency. If water, add bouillon. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the soup begins to thicken. Skim off any suds that form on the surface while cooking. Salt to taste.
Serve with a touch of parmesan and black pepper.

No comments: