27.2.09

Garlic and Greens Soup

I've recently been down, sick with a cold. This soup is a mixture of a few recipes (which, really, is what all soup always is), made with what I had in my fridge. I think it is now my new favorite soup for when I'm sick. It was so easy, so perfect for low energy cooking. And so flavorful that even my deadened-by-a-cold tastebuds were completely satisfied. In general a mixture of bitter, spicy, and sweet greens I think is what will make this soup stellar.


Ingredients:
2 tbsps olive oil
1 large head of garlic, all cloves pealed and thinly sliced
1 large potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 head bok choy, chopped
1 bunch collard greens, chopped
1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
1 bunch beet greens, chopped
any other greens, really such as spinach, watercress, or dandelion greens.
6 cups water
2 bouillon cubes (as usual, I highly recommend Rapunzel brand sea salt and herbs)

Directions:
In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden.
Add potatoes and greens and cook until green wilt. It can be good to add these in batches, to make stirring easier.
Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer until the collard greens are cooked through and bright green and the potatoes are just soft. If the greens start to become faded or the potatoes start to fall apart, stop cooking.
Serve while steaming to get all the benefits of a garlic filled steam.

No comments: