13.9.09

Green Tonic Soup

Modified from spring tonic soup in The Savory Way (one of my favorite cookbooks).

I've been craving nettles. Yes, those things that sting. That plant I was taught to avoid in my grandparents farm fields. In The Netherlands, it is a common edible green. Nettle Gouda (oh, so yummy). Nettle soup, the endless cause of many of my cravings. Yet, it is not easy to find around here. So I started to look for soup recipes that might have the same kind of flavor and I worked my way into this one. It was super easy and exactly satisfied the craving. I recommend working with a bitter as well as savory greens (the list I've included is based on the greens in the original recipe - I used dandelion and beet greens for this soup). I didn't have any sweet greens in my fridge tonight, but I'm sure it would be goo, too. Don't be shy with the garlic and make sure to add that splash of sour dairy - I added about 2 tbsp of buttermilk to my soup (if you use cream, be sure to add the vinegar - it's not as needed if the dairy is already sour).

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil

3 leeks, chopped

2 medium carrots, chopped

5 garlic cloves, peeled, smooshed with the side of a knife.

1 bunch flat leaf parsely, chopped

2 cups chard leaves chopped (chop and reserve stems)

Greens to select from: beet greens, watercress, mustard greens, broccoli rabe, escarole, arugula, dandelion greens,
radish greens
2 quarts vegetable stock

cracked pepper

white wine vinegar

buttermilk, cream, or sour cream to garnish


Directions
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, leeks, chard stems, parsley and cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add 6 cups of any of the greens. Once well wilted add broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Once all cooked, transfer to a blender and puree. Serve with a splash of cracked pepper, white wine vinegar, and cream.



No comments: